Friday, February 24, 2012

Smile and nod

Went to the high risk ob. For the first time they did measurements, and showed that I am not in fact growing a freakishly huge baby despite my possible GD. And guess what? No protein in my urine today! And guess what the reaction to that great news was? "Well, that doesn't mean anything." Huh?

Then they did an NST. It was no big deal - just lying on my side for half an hour while they monitored the baby, who was of course fine. They said I was having contractions even though I didn't feel anything. Ah, if only labor could be like that...!

So I'm now required to go in two times a week for these NSTs, plus my regular appointments, even though everything went great today. What a pain in the ass. Already it's a scheduling nightmare with my two photo shoots week after next, because apparently you have to do them at exact times and days, even one day different isn't acceptable. But I'm not going to worry about that right now. They have me in next Tues, then I'll keep my midwife appt Weds and see what we can see. I'll be 36 weeks by then and that much closer, maybe I'll have a better attitude about all this then. Or not!

They said the primary reason for all this is just my age. I thought so - I thought if I was 34 none of this would matter. They asked detailed questions about my GD numbers and I just lied my ass off. I find it interesting that the one day I don't have any protein in my urine is the one day I don't have any protein for breakfast. Coincidence?

I did a fairly good job of keeping my annoyance to myself - always reminding myself that everyone's just doing their jobs - but I did let slip a snarky "seriously?" when I rode down in a very packed elevator only to have it stop on one floor and have a very large woman say, "we can squeeze in a couple more, right?" and make us all pack in even more. I guess someone had to be the recipient of my wrath, might as well be a complete stranger, right? Spoken like a true New Yorker!

1 comment:

  1. NSTs twice a week? That seems a bit excessive but it's good they're taking such good care of you & your boy...better lots of NSTs than finding a problem too late.

    ReplyDelete