Friday, February 10, 2012

Pee, boobs, and more pee


Got “the call” from the midwife today saying they want me to do a 24 hour urine collection test to get a better picture of what’s going on in this whole protein in the urine thing.  It’s frustrating because the only thing I can find online about this either doesn’t apply to pregnancy or is all about pre-eclampsia, which, considering I’ve never had high blood pressure, I don’t think applies to me.  Anyway it must not be that serious if they want to discuss the results at my next appointment two weeks from now.  So I’ll just do the darned test and try not to hold the cup too far back and then pee all over my hand (apparently, much like an eight-year-old boy, I think girls pee out of their vaginas, not their urethras).

So next week is my breastfeeding class.  We are supposed to bring a baby doll or a stuffed animal for practice.  I don’t technically have either – unless you count the baby chick stuffed animal that still has one of my childhood nosebleed stains on it.  Will I be the most ghetto person in the room if I bring this…?  Probably.  But I’m used to this phenomenon, believe me.

I read a lot of the new mommy blogs and of course have had countless conversations with mothers about breastfeeding.  And you know I plan on doing it because I know it’s best for everyone, and luckily Kaiser has many, many resources if I run into trouble and I intend to use them, ie, I don’t plan on giving up easily if it just isn’t working out at first.  However, I will say this just one time.  Breastfeeding, despite being wonderful, sounds like a HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS.  I always pictured it would be like The Blue Lagoon – you go to cuddle your baby and he just magically latches on and drinks, and you look at Christopher Atkins in wonderment and walk off into the South Pacific sunset.  I don’t know a single person for whom breastfeeding was a breeze – everyone seems to have awful problems with it, and is subsequently made to feel guilty, and wants to give up.  Now for the record they usually managed to overcome these problems.  But I will say it sounds horrendous.  The not latching, the not producing enough milk, the baby losing weight, the leaky boobs, the cracked nipples, the pumping, the mastitis, the being tied down to every two hour feedings – ugh.  Let’s just hope it’s the awesome bonding experience people say it is, because from an outsider’s perspective it sounds pretty terrible.

Today I couldn’t get up in time for my prenatal yoga class and am feeling horribly guilty about it so I am going to do a light hike instead.  Honestly the cardio would probably be better for me right now, since I get almost none of that. 

I am experiencing a steel cut oats fail.  I picked up the steel cut variety because I thought they would be healthier – but for the life of me can’t figure out how to cook them.  Usually I just nuke regular rolled oats for about five minutes and voila.  But this kind appears to need to be cooked in a pan for an astounding half hour before being palatable.  Which, honestly, doesn’t work for me.  Cleaning out scorched pans and waiting a half hour to eat breakfast isn’t my idea of a good time.  So unless someone has some trick to these suckers I think I’m back to my rolled oats, stat.

Yesterday out of nowhere the dog took a huge piss on my fabulous art deco Chinoiserie rug, right in front of the front door so it’s the first thing you see when you walk into my house.  I was so angry I could hardly see straight, and am still pretty annoyed with her.  She did this right after running around outside for about a half hour so there’s no way she had to go “so bad” that she couldn’t hold it – and she came in of her own volition, as well.  I don’t think she’s mad about the pregnancy – it’s just about once a year that she’ll randomly pee somewhere like the couch, the bed, some rug – and I can never figure out why, since it’s never related to anything like my being out of town or changes in her schedule or something upsetting happening.  Personally I think it’s just that she has the occasional accident – she is pretty old – and that’s it.  But does it have to be on my most prized rug right in front of the front door for crying out loud…!  When my sister comes I will ask her to help me rotate the rug so at least this huge stain is under the couch, because I absolutely can’t stand looking at it.  I know, I know, get used to everything getting ruined.  But I figured I had a few more months before that starts happening.

5 comments:

  1. I expected BF to be hard... and it was actually more or less like Blue Lagoon. very, very easy. i sort of hover-crafted her onto my boob in the delivery room, because there was no way i could move my own body, and she latched right on. and nursed for 30 minutes. and that was pretty much it.

    except that once my milk came in, there was TONS of it, so she never really fed for more than about 5 minutes. and i had to drape her body over mine if I wanted to nurse in bed -- the flow was too fast to do sidelying until she was bigger.

    honestly, it was all SO. MUCH. EASIER than formula.

    but i know i was super lucky!

    but i also know i'm not the only one.

    so... it might not be terrible for you, either!

    and ps, i'm the only person i know that really doesn't mind pumping. i mean, it's not what i would do for fun, but i don't mind it, either. so sometimes pump on weekends so that i can donate milk to those who aren't as lucky as me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say I had awful problems BF but it definitely wasn't easy...I was thankful for the resources available to me for help & support, they made all the difference so good for you for being prepared to use the resources available to you.

    I agree with Abby that BF is way more convenient than formula...I hope it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister-in-law had all those breastfeeding problems, but stuck with it and swears it was worth it. And she says it's much easier with her second.

    She swears by nipple shields so you might want to grab a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overnight oatmeal is your answer! You can cook enough steel-cut oats to last a week, in the crock-pot. I found a recipe (yes, I need recipes for simple things like oatmeal) that calls for 2 cups of oats, 4 cups of water, 1/3 cup of as many kinds of dried fruit as you want, then cook in a 5-6 qt. crock-pot for 7-8 hours. I spray Pam on the inside to keep it from sticking, and I add a little cinnamon to mine, but it's tasty. I don't think I could ever go back to old, rolled oats :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did have a nasty few days of mastitis, but that was after Finn was 6 months old. Like Abby, we didn't have too many problems - a few little issues here and there, but for the most part it wasn't bad at all. And it is SO much easier to roll over in the middle of the night and pull my my shirt than it would be to go get a bottle of formula!

    Oh, and I'm going to have to try Amanda's suggestion for steel-cut oats - that sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete