Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Final baby care class

...aaaand, go! Apparently I am now completely vetted and certified to be someone's parent...not. I wasn't thrilled with these classes, but for free I guess I shouldn't really complain. What I really need is the mechanics of this stuff - how to actually clean a baby, put on a diaper, care for cloth diapers, how often to bathe, etc. I'm sure my mom friends, and experience, will be my better teachers. There's only so much you can cover in a two hour class, really.

So, the ob visit was mostly positive (remember this isn't the high risk one coming Friday). Nobody said anything about my three pound weight gain thank goodness (maybe they don't care anymore because I only have five weeks to go), and at first my blood pressure appeared a tad high, but then the nurse had me move my arm slightly and it dropped about 15 points. I'm glad she caught that, because it is back to a normal 120/80.

They are still getting the +1 protein thing, but baby is doing fine, fluid levels fine, etc. I was supposed to go over my so-called birth plan with the midwife, but somehow this never happened. Since my birth plan is pretty much "baby alive, me alive" I don't care a whole lot. I also was told I'd do the Strep B swab today, but that didn't happen either. Huh.

She mentioned Friday's appointment and said they would just want to see if the protein is a sign of failing kidneys, pre-e, or as she put it, "just a pregnancy thing". I am hoping for option C. They had me do some blood tests, the results of which I've seen and everything looks normal except the ones that indicate a touch of anemia which nobody seems to care about. So, I guess that's all pretty good, right? Right?

I feel pretty wiped out, but I feel like that's pretty normal considering the whirlwind few days I've had. I'm glad I have a pretty empty weekend during which I can sort teeny tiny socks.

Here is a picture of my swaddling practice in class tonight (I tried to get a pic of the husband in front of me playing solitaire on his phone while his wife rubbed his back during the whole class, but I think I'll just preserve the memory for whenever I need to be reminded how glad I am I'm doing this on my own):


2 comments:

  1. Good swaddling!! I felt about the same about the classes I took, glad I went but not sure I actually got all that much out of them.

    Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you both. I really don't think I feel like I'm an expert mommy leaving the class but it was nice to get the basics.
    Seriously, if I was in a relationship and my significant other was playing solitaire throughout the class he would be getting an earful, not a backrub! I guess that's why I'm still single though :)

    ReplyDelete