Friday, February 10, 2012

Do not see this movie

So I saw "We Need to Talk About Kevin" today. I'm not saying it was a bad movie - I actually kind of liked it, because I like sick, dark things - but it could be extremely disturbing to any thinkers/ tryers / preggos out there.

The basic premise is a free spirited woman becomes pregnant, becomes very depressed during her pregnancy, and then gives birth to what can only be described as a devil child. Basically, a little boy who does nothing but hate on her his entire childhood - and she returns it in good measure - and then surprise! He shoots up his high school.

Other than having a child who dies or one with severe health issues, I can only imagine this is every mother's worst fear - having a kid who just plain hates you. The frustrating part of the movie (and hence the title) is that the mother makes no attempt at getting him help - when he doesn't speak, or meet other basic milestones, or when he's still in diapers at something like five or six. I would think any mother, even as out to lunch as this one is, wouldn't just ignore the problem of a deeply troubled kid. Or would she...?

Anyway, it did make me think about what people are willing to tolerate in their own homes and families. I mean, the way this kid is so hateful towards her...so cruel and disrespectful. Who puts up with that (other than Carmela Soprano)? I sure wouldn't. Is it Pollyanna of me to think we're a family and we're supposed to be nice to each other...? Is this just plain naive on my part? I never lived with my mother as a teenager, so maybe it is!

I just feel like with all my family's weirdness and dysfunctions and anxiety/depression issues, somehow we manage to enjoy each other's company and treat each other with love and respect. It doesn't seem that hard. I mean, what the heck is the point of having kids if you're not going to like being with them?

1 comment: