Monday, February 20, 2012

A celebration of life, pt II

Today was my nearly 95-year-old old time dancer friend's memorial. It was very heart felt and the right mix of tears and laughter. I was happy to see his heartbroken widow smiling from ear to ear when some of the young guys took her out on the dance floor for a spin. I said a few words even though I hadn't planned to, and was very glad I brought my own computer to play the video presentation I'd edited because of course it wouldn't play on anything else! Being an event planner, you always have a backup plan for the backup plan.

Spent the evening washing baby clothes. The amount of clothes and blankets is a little ridiculous - it's a giant pile about four feet in diameter and nearly up to my waist. Just folded the first of three loads and have noticed there is a huge disparity in sizes - some of the 0-3 month outfits are the same size as the 9-12 month outfits, so my plan to match things by size may not work; I may organize by type instead.

My sister labored all day on the stenciling and did a fantastic job. I have zero patience for things like this.

I did break down and check my registries for leftover items; was pleased to discover very little was left except a mobile, some leak pads, and baby medical supplies. So at some point I will pick these things up, also some nursing bras, a compression garment for post-partum, and figure out some kind of bedding situation for the crib.

Tomorrow is the hospital tour, followed by a much anticipated Ethiopian lunch. Then lots more cleaning, organizing, and just general stuff to do. Head is swimming a bit. In the meantime, here's a picture of the stencil plus some more shots of yesterday's artfully crafted shower:

1 comment:

  1. Your shower looks like it was beautiful! I'm so glad you got most of you what you need, too, I'm sure that makes you feel a lot better.

    I'm glad you were extra prepared for the memorial service. I'm sure his widow appreciated it. It made me smile to hear that she was able to smile during while dancing - I bet that would have made her husband happy.

    And that stenciling? I love it! And so in awe of your sister's patience!

    ReplyDelete