Saturday, February 11, 2012

Adventures


Due to missing my yoga yesterday I decided to get off my butt and go on a long hike by myself, something I haven’t done in ages (certainly not since being pregnant…which is ages).  I was a little worried because I’m so far along and didn’t know how my body would handle the stress – and hiking alone, especially on a week day, always has a slightly creepy vibe to it, since no one’s around.

I had never hiked this trail by myself before and to be honest was completely convinced I was lost towards the end – the sun was setting, the other hikers were disappearing, and I was beginning to wonder if I’d ever find my way back.  However, this hike is always within view of well traveled streets, and I had my phone on me, so I was never in any real danger.  As it turned out I had in fact been on the correct road all along, it just seemed longer because usually I’m yakking away with a friend and don’t notice all the twists and turns.

But despite my low-level panic of being lost I have to say it was really delightful being out in nature like that – especially as the sun was going down and it started to feel cool and damp and the crickets kicked in (actually a rare sound in SoCal – and one I miss).  It was much the same feeling I get after cleaning the house; “this is great!  I should do this all the time!”  I took it really easy on the hills and never felt like I was over-exerting myself.  So I think I can safely incorporate this easy hike into my routine for the next weeks – will for sure help with my general fitness, and keep my weight & GD in check.

One thought I kept having as I was marching along was how much fun it’s going to be to do this with a kid – once he’s old enough to keep up.  Obviously I can carry him until he is – but once he’s a real boy running around hitting things with sticks, we’re going to have a blast.  I also thought about taking a day like yesterday and packing the baby and dog into the car and just having a nice picnic somewhere, or going to the beach, or just going on a long drive and finding some neat place to pull over and hang out.  These are all the things you tell yourself as a single person you’ll do just on your own – and for the record, being very skilled at being single, I do get out a lot more than the average person – but most of the time it’s just easier to stay at home and futz around on the internet while watching TV.  However when there’s a kid involved I’ll feel a lot more incentive to “get out” – he’s a boy, he’ll have a lot of energy, and it’ll be good for him.  So I really look forward to getting out more, seeing more of this great state I adopted nineteen years ago.  I think we’re going to have a lot of fun together, he and I.

3 comments:

  1. I wanted to respond to your last past about the oatmeal. It's been awhile now since I switched to the steel cut oats, mainly for the nutrition benefits. It is a pain to cook them for the 30 minutes, agreed. So, I just to make a big batch and put in separate containers. Then I just pop in micro in morning and takes no time at all. When I am cooking them I put in cinnamon. Then I put some fruit on top when done. They really are good and great way to start day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me happy! I'm imagining the same things with my boy - I've traveled the world on my own, but somehow the surrounding area never gets visited on my own.

    ReplyDelete