Saturday, January 28, 2012

On a roll

With work, that is. Spent the day (after yoga and meeting with the guy about the thing) testing my registration page over and over, eliminating many annoying bugs. I am now the master of handling "exceptions", as in, you can't get the discounted international rate if you live in the US, can't sign up for the competitor rate and then not sign up for a contest, can't register for both Amateur and Pro divisions, the list is endless. But I think I have it pretty much licked. I know if there are still problems once it goes live on Tues night I can probably fix them myself. I do have quite a logic-based, mechanical mind when I apply myself. So, done, and done. Also did a few hours of video editing/archiving and worked on the website more, as in loading up some photo galleries. I'm on a roll, people. This is what I would call "virtual nesting".

The meeting with the guy about the place went well today...but after discussing it with a couple of people, I think I'm going to pass. Mainly, I just don't see a way to make it actually work. And as a friend pointed out, it doesn't matter if you don't technically lose money; being involved in something that isn't successful is a real drag. I ran a weekly venue about ten years ago and over the course of nine months watched it die a slow death, and it was one of the most miserable experiences of my life. The thought of going through that again makes me cringe. I don't think there's an audience for what we want to do. It's basically us trying to cannibalize the tiny group of people who go out dancing regularly, and already there's too many places to go and not enough people. So, the heck with it. I will probably see him tomorrow and will tell him then that I'm out.

I am going to hustle to get my promo video done this weekend, then launch registration at midnight Tuesday, then things will be real quiet on the work front for a while. Personally I'm quite looking forward to getting back to baby stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment