Thursday, January 19, 2012

My fingers hurt

So just a quick update on those blood glucose numbers. After that scary 222 number, the next hour dropped to the 160s, and the hour after that into the 90s. Then I had my standard lunch of black bean tacos and was delighted to see my one hour post lunch number was only 115. An hour later it was in the 120s. What this all means, I won't know until I speak to a professional. Is it normal that my blood sugar would spike so much after a sugary breakfast but then be good the rest of the day? Does that one bad number alone mean I need to worry, as in, I didn't react well to something sugary? Or does my reaction to normal food the rest of the day mean I'm ok? Do I just need to steer clear of high sugar/carb meals for the next ten weeks? What does it all mean???

I may or may not do another all day testing extravaganza tomorrow, having eggs for breakfast instead, just to see if I react any differently. Or I may give my poor bruised finger tips a break. I'll see how I feel in the morning. I kind of want to get it over with but kind of want my fingers to heal first too.

I broke down and called the gal who's hosting my shower to ask if moving it to Saturday would be ok for her, and she said sure. So I put the word out that this is what I'd like to do. I feel MUCH better about this. As she pointed out, having a celebration of bringing a new life into the world immediately followed by a sad memorial is just too jarring in one day. I'm just so glad that she, and everyone else, were willing to be flexible. Takes a lot of pressure off me, for sure.

Spent several hours tonight wrestling with the completely non-intuitive, confusing program to design my online registration page. It's almost there now - I even ran a test and much to my delight it appears to actually work. I just have to find the guy who designed the program on G chat and pick his brain about a few small details and hopefully it'll be ready to go live in two weeks. Then I edit my promo and the big jobs are behind me and I can again focus on getting ready for the baby. Whew!

4 comments:

  1. I was hoping that is what you would have chosen to do about your shower. It just seemed like the right thing to do given the amount of stress it was creating for you....and this is something you want to look forward to and enjoy....not just 'get through'!
    I've had trouble posting to your blog, but it seems I can today. Also, thank you so much for your comments on my blog. I read all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had gestational diabetes and had to monitor my sugars, so yes, if it spiked after a sugary meal you should avoid those :) I actually did best with a slice of toast and PB for breakfast, for some reason eggs didn't do well for me. But you will have to experiment a bit and see what works. Just keep in mind the numbers for GD are different than for regular diabetes so make sure you are using the right charts. Oh, and my GD went away as soon as my son was born, seriously, he was born at 5:32 am and after breakfast at 7 my sugar was totally normal (and it was cereal with milk and stuff at the hospital).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insulin resistance is always the worst first thing in the morning - the recommendation is to limit carbs with breakfast to 15 grams - so that huge spike after a sugar breakfast isn't surprising. Toast with a protein or fat is always a good breakfast choice!

    I'm glad you were able to move your shower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you were able change your shower.

    ReplyDelete