Friday, January 20, 2012

G-D dieting

So even though nobody has officially told me I have gestational diabetes, I have decided to just act as though I do and change my habits a bit. I looked up some GD menus online and I think I can live with it - more protein for breakfast, check; less carbs & sugars in general, check. May help stave off massive weight gain, too, which is definitely a good thing. So I went shopping today and bought more fruits and vegetables, salad fixings, peanut butter, cottage cheese and yogurt.

I'll tell you one thing, though - I'm going to a birthday party tomorrow and I'm having pizza and cake and nobody can stop me. Also I am having cake at my shower.

I'm trying to take all of this in stride but I'll be blatantly honest - I'm a little pissed off. I'm surrounded by women who treat (ed) their pregnancies like an eating free-for-all, put on a ton if weight, and never had to deal with this. Here I am with my freakin' brown rice and vegetables and plain yogurt and I'm the one who develops diabetes (supposedly). I hate exercise, I hate dieting, I hate depriving myself. I'm so good 90% of the time - no fast food, no processed food, no soda, no candy. And yet the gals on my March 2012 board go on all day about how they've eaten nothing but McDonald's for months. And I'm the one who has to restrict my diet even more, be even more careful, make more time to get out and move my body when all I want to do is relax.

So for me this is not the Gestational Diabetes diet, it's the God Damned diet. If the condition goes away after giving birth, the first thing I'm going to do is stick two Twix bars up my nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment