Friday, January 13, 2012

FAIL

Things didn't go well today. First the ob shamed me again about weight gain (22 lbs at this point, which I thought was normal), asking, "are you drinking sugary drinks? Are you eating a lot of carbs? Are you exercising?" Then I did the 1 hour glucose test and anemia test - according to the numbers on my e-mailed test results, I failed both, and not by a small margin either. What the hell...? I'm not obese, no history of diabetes in the family, cook all my own healthy whole foods from scratch, drink nothing but water, etc. How could I possibly test positive for gestational diabetes??? I feel like a big fat failure right now. And the best part is now I get to be tortured by the 3 hour test, which means sitting at Kaiser with nothing to do for four hours, starving, while they stick needles in my arm to take my blood over and over again. And if I fail that ordeal, I have to radically change my diet and/or stick my finger multiple times a day to check my blood sugar and shoot myself up with insulin. I'm in hell.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm just so sad reading this... I'm so sorry you feel like a failure, but you're really, truly NOT one! The OB has no right to make you feel bad - she should just be helping you with what you need help with. I don't think gestational diabetes has anything to do with family history, from what I understand (but I could be wrong). I have no doubt you'll make it through the test just fine, and hopefully the results will be reassuring. Hang in there... this pregnancy stuff sure isn't easy, is it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pregnancy is an insulin resistant state to begin with - meaning you need more insulin than when you're not pregnant. In GDM, your body gets to the point where you can't make enough insulin to cover your body's needs, and your sugar goes up. A family history of diabetes does increase your risk of GDM, but plenty of people get it who don't have a family history.

    I know when I was monitoring my sugars during pregnancy, I saw a 10-15 point drop once I started back to walking every day. So even if your 3 hour test comes back positive, you may find that diet and walking every day keeps your sugars low enough that you don't need insulin. For a lot of people, the diet isn't that bad - you might be surprised! But I have my fingers crossed that you'll pass the next test with flying colors and not need to ever be surprised by the diet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, you are certainly not a failure. The 1 hour glucose test can be inacurate...here in Ontario, Canada we are automatically sent for the 3 hour test as standard practice. It sucks but I hope you make it thru with flying colours! I had to take the 3 hour test twice, no fun...bring a book, mags, even download a movie to watch...I brought my aunt with me 1 time & my mom the other & it made the time go past quicker with someone to talk to & play cards with. Oh, & don't eat too much too fast afterward, I made that mistake the 1st time & felt even worse! Good luck & hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete