Thursday, January 26, 2012

Another day in LA


So today I steeled myself for the midwife appointment, not sure what to expect with all this GD stuff.  Honestly, it was such a gorgeous day here in LA it was hard to be unhappy about anything – and I promised myself I would not have a freak out no matter what happened.  This is a new midwife, the third one I’ve seen since I’ve been at Kaiser.  Part of me thinks that’s kind of weird, but part of me doesn’t mind, either – it’s best to get familiar with as many faces there as possible, since who knows who will be on call when I go into labor?  Anyway, the first thing this lady mentioned was my failed 1 hour test, so I busted out my log of blood sugar readings and told her I’d be testing at home from now on and don’t want to do the 3 hour torture test.  She said this was fine, since people who fail the 3 hour end up home testing usually anyway, so might as well start now.  She also gave me some tips on how/when to eat and what the most important readings are.  Still not 100% clear on all of this, but I’m glad to hear I can just sort of keep doing what I’m doing and should be fine.  Everything else looked good – good fluid levels, baby head down, growing/moving at the right rate, etc.  I am so paranoid some f-d up thing is going to happen at the last minute after things going so well for so long, it’s hard to just relax, even though I only have eight weeks to go.  So every time I go in there and everything looks good I just thank my lucky stars.  And I don’t have to go again for two weeks, woo hoo!

Last night I busted my tail preparing for my book club.  I don’t know why every time I entertain I think it’s a good idea to not clean for weeks and run all the food down in the refrigerator – I kicked myself as soon as I got up yesterday when I realized I had to scrub the entire house from top to bottom, go grocery shopping, and cook, all in just a few hours.  I also set myself up for potential disaster in making a brand new, complicated recipe – vegetarian moussaka.  It was by far one of the most complicated things I’ve ever made, and took a straight three hours to assemble.  The good news is, it was delicious.  I wish it were simpler; I’d make it more often.  It would be great for me now since it’s 100% vegetables, no pasta or carbs at all, and protein from the hollandaise sauce you pour over it.  But boy is it a pain in the butt!  Maybe if I’m feeling super ambitious towards the end I’ll make one & freeze it for after the baby comes…but I doubt it.

I’ve spent the last couple of days in web design/computer programming hell.  Been testing my registration page and after hours finally worked out all the bugs, and spent all day today after my appointment redesigning my website for the new event year and then transferring the design changes to the registration page.  I think it looks pretty great, personally.  There are still things I don’t like about my web page, but is it better than relying on someone else to do it for me?  Absolutely.  I’ll suffer through a little amateurish design any day to not have to deal with flaky other people.

I’ve been approached out of the blue to start a monthly swing venue.  This guy is not one of my favorite people, but he is a heck of a promoter and seems to be quite successful.  He wants to open a venue that has three different dance styles going in three different rooms at a ballroom space, and I would be in charge of the Lindy stuff.  Which basically just means hiring DJs, and promoting.  It sounds like it could be a really good opportunity – he has a deal set up where we split any profits with the venue owners, so we don’t pay money up front, and they handle all the support staff (so I wouldn’t have to constantly try to get people to work the door for me, which I hate).  We’re going to tour the location tomorrow.  I don’t know what to make of it, really – part of me doesn’t think I’ll be able to get anyone to show up to a DJ’d dance on a Sunday night, especially when there’s a FREE club the very next night with live music that everyone goes to.  Why would people come to this, unless they’re of the crossover variety (people who enjoy different dance styles)?  I could see how that might be appealing to some people.  And I could run workshops for teachers I know, but would have to figure out how they get paid.  Anyway I figure it’s pretty much no risk…I just don’t want to be involved in something that’s going to end up sucking.  Also he wants to start in mid-March, which might be difficult for me, and April will, too, although there’s no saying I have to be present at the venue, I just have to set it up for someone to show up and DJ.  Suffice it to say I’m interested in at least considering it.  If I even make only $100 a month on it, that’ll help pay the baby’s health care premiums!


1 comment:

  1. Glad the Midwife appointment went so well. Good luck with your new business opportunity

    ReplyDelete