Saturday, December 31, 2011

Year end round up

So I didn't mean for my blog last night to end on such a bummer note; what happened was the keyboard thingee disappeared so I had no choice but to publish what I had. I am currently blogging via the Blogger app on my phone - don't know why I didn't think of just downloading this app first, derr!

Anyhoo, so today is a good day for reflection and looking forward. As previously noted, last year I made my Facebook status that my resolution for 2011 was to start composting. I didn't actually do this, mainly because I didn't want to shell out the dough for the materials (although I swear I will get on this this year some time). However I did make serious headway on my Super Secret Resolution, which was, of course, to have a baby. Now, I didn't actually HAVE the baby, but that would imply that I would have been successful on my first attempt in March, which if you know my history, didn't end up happening. Still, being safely in my third trimester is good enough, believe me.

So, what was accomplished in 2011? I kept my event going, for the 14th time, and survived it with morning sickness no less. I paid down some serious debt, which considering I used to be in the habit of rolling my debt into my mortgage, is a major point of pride for me. I traveled extensively with the band, even while in the middle of a miscarriage. I bought a new car which hopefully will be my car for 5-10 years. I watched my friendships change and become enriched with the news of my pregnancy. I largely overcame my rampaging jealousy of my friend, also a point of pride for me since this has been a real problem. I finally tackled some home projects which have been on the back burner since 2001. And most importantly, I shucked the need to frantically try to find a partner before it gets too late for me to have children and just went and did it on my own. The first few months was a real roller coaster of doubt and fear and disappointment, but I feel truly blessed with the positive outcome. Not everybody gets so lucky and I don't for one moment take this fact for granted.

So 2012 will be The Year Everything Changes. Even more than the year I graduated high school and started work (1990), even more than the year I moved to California (1993), even more than the year I started swing dancing (1996), even more than the year I left work to run my own business (1999). Things had been the same for so long I had begun to doubt anything would ever change. And as has always been the case in my life, change didn't fall in my lap, change had to come from tremendous effort and persistence on my part. Because of this I feel ready for it - I'm ready to take care of someone else, to make someone other than myself a priority for a while. I'm looking forward to it, actually. 2012 will definitely be a banner year around here. I wish everyone who reads this the same! Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. I really like what you said about being ready to take care of someone else. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete