Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Jig is Up


I decided to out myself on Facebook.  Not in any dramatic way, but I figured since everyone knows now anyway (and I certainly can’t physically hide it anymore) I could at least occasionally mention it, and post pictures of myself in my “condition” (as with the picture I posted on here yesterday).  I had two people private message me to ask if I was expecting, and one person text, and a handful of people give thumbs up (ha ha, thankfully there’s no “f-you button”…yet) and comment positively.  So, that’s that.  I don’t feel like I need to pretend it’s not happening, but I don’t have to announce it with some big fanfare, either.  Works for me.

Drove out to Agoura to pick up my 1940’s baby buggy today.  It weighs an EFFING TON.  I could barely get it up the stairs even in two pieces.  It’s in great shape, and is indeed a beautiful item.  But will certainly not be for every day use.  May not even be for non-every day use.  If it weren’t for the stairs, or if it could be stored in the car…but no.  Oh well.  It will look great in the baby’s room (color matches the blue walls) and I can always haul it down for special occasions.  But man is this thing heavy!

Yesterday I had my first actual conversation with my child.  Oh, I’ve said little things here and there, but always with a sense that I’m just being silly and feeling somewhat self-conscious.  But yesterday I was showering and he started moving around for the first time that morning, and I just reflexively asked, “Oh, are you awake?” I don’t know how to describe how this time it was different, but it just was.  I think movement helps you a lot to feel connected to the baby.  It’s the first time your baby can express an opinion about something – I don’t like it when you sit in that position, I like it when you eat that, etc.  And so his little personality is already asserting itself.  Which I think is fabulous. 

Painter guy returns today to start the dining room.  I hope it’s easier because there’s no peeling wallpaper…but it may be harder because there’s more wall space to deal with.  Can he get the walls peeled, sanded, primed and painted with two coats before Friday…?  I dread having everything all torn up around here again, but there’s nothing to be done about it…better now than later.  For me I have to finish the nursery walls so I can put everything back and get organized; half the nursery stuff is in the living room.  Yep, it’s a right old mess around here.  But still I feel so free when I think of all the broken appliances, unused books, and other crap I’ve managed to unload in the last couple of weeks.  Really I should do a big purge like that every year, as I do with my clothes and shoes…with a second person living here soon, this may become a necessity.  Because Lord knows that child is going to be positively showered with toys!

Been debating about the whole Santa thing, and appropriately enough, just about every talk radio show I’ve listened to this week has had an hour discussion on the topic.  You know what?  I think we’re going to do Santa.  I think all the enjoyment he’ll get out of the magic of Santa and Christmas will be far more important than any potential disappointment at discovering he’s not real.  As some friends pointed out, even if Santa is never mentioned in your household, it’s everywhere – every movie, TV show, song on the radio, mentions him, and then once the kid is in school, the majority of other kids will be into Santa.  So, why not?  I think it could be a lot of fun, actually, leaving milk and cookies out for him, making some presents from Santa and some from mom (and doing special wrapping for the Santa presents which some of the radio callers suggested).  I never really believed in him myself – my mother took a “well, maybe there is, and maybe there isn’t” approach, and I just kind of came to my own conclusion – but I do want to make sure my kid gets to experience all the magical parts of childhood.  So done, and done.   

So far here’s the Major Parenting Decisions Roundup:

Santa – yes

Veggie at home, omnivore everywhere else

No God, Jesus, or Bible, but certainly an awareness of these things, and in a non-judgmental way (I’ll keep my bitterness to myself)

No comments:

Post a Comment