Monday, August 22, 2011

Ultrasound! the musical

I saw it!  I saw it!  Little heart fluttering away, measuring at exactly 8 weeks 3 days, which is close enough to the 8 weeks 4 days I estimate.  Amazing!  They didn’t do a test for heartbeat strength – something about the tool they would use introducing heat into the womb and they felt it was too risky this early – but I saw the heart beating, which is enough for me.

So, no hysterical pregnancy, no empty gestational sac, no blighted ovum, no molar pregnancy, no ectopic pregnancy, no missed miscarriage, no abnormalities.  As of today I can check those off of the list.  What a freakin’ relief!

For all the dark days I’ve had lately it sure is nice to have some good news.  I have to admit I went in pretty confident, though, and wasn’t that nervous.  There were no physical reasons to assume anything was wrong, and I figure when it comes to the nightmare scenarios (missed miscarriage, etc) you just have to cross your fingers and hope it doesn’t happen to you.  That’s the best you can do!

So now I’m going to forward this pic on to the family, and even tell my mother, since my uncle is itching to tell her and I figure there’s no real reason to wait.  I’m sure that will be a bit of a bittersweet exchange, after our history, but I know she’ll be happy and excited for me.  I do have faith in that.

Got a prescription for a generic form of Zofran.  Not feeling too terrible today so I may put off trying it until absolutely necessary – I’m nervous to take it, naturally, even though I’ve heard lots of personal stories about how it’s completely safe.  Good to know there is a chance I will be able to survive next weekend’s marathon contest judging/singing trip to DC, however, without dying of nausea!

And also I’d like to give a little follow up to my Facebook post – I think I must have come across angrier and more fearful than I really felt.  I know everyone’s going to be happy for me, I have no question about that.  I was just remarking on the fact that since I’m single and never expressed to anyone the desire to have children, that unless I sit everyone down individually and tell them the whole story, there are going to be a lot of questions and people aren’t going to know how to feel about it.  So a simple Facebook status update is just going to shock and confuse people in my situation; whereas if I were in a relationship nobody would think twice about it.  Just commenting on the difference there.  I do think if I decide to do an announcement on Facebook that it’s important to not be flippant and to be more emotional about it – mention this is something I’ve been trying to do for a while and that I’m very happy about it.  But I’m still on the fence about whether I want to announce it at all or just tell people in person where they can read my cues – the look on my face, the tone of my voice, etc – and then ask me whatever questions they have.  So I’m not angry at people nor am I full of fears…just trying to figure out the best way to handle this so I get the kind of reaction I want and not set myself up for a situation that will be less than satisfactory for me.  Ah, technology!  So great and yet such a double edged sword sometimes.


3 comments:

  1. So happy you got to see the heartbeat!
    As for facebook, I posted a pic of the ultrasound on mine, and only had one "I didn't know you were married!" everyone else was too polite (I guess) to say anything like that, and I got lots of congrats. But that may not happen to everyone of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you! That's wonderful news. Many many congratulations on the start of your own family. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME!!! Very happy for you! Isn't it just amazing???

    ReplyDelete