Friday, May 13, 2011

And the RE said...


Femara (Letrozole) it is!  But this was only after I specifically asked for it.  He was ready to go the Clomid route.  We talked about Femara and he said it has almost no side effects, doesn’t thin your mucus or lining, is more effective, and is extremely unlikely to cause hyperstimulation/multiple births.  I asked why the heck do people even bother with Clomid, then?  He said it just gets down to costs.  Clomid is about $20/cycle whereas Femara is $160.  Was it worth it to me?  Absolutely.  So I stood around awkwardly in the local CVS looking at nail polish until my “scrip” was ready.  And now I’m looking at this little orange bottle of tiny white pills that just might make me a baby.  Isn’t modern medicine amazing?

I want to start taking it RIGHT NOW but unfortunately I have to wait for my period to show up until I can; still more than a week away.  You take two pills a day for five days.  I will try to take them all before I travel for Memorial Day weekend. 

He was very encouraging about the fact that the possible causes for cancellation on Clomid are not an issue with Femara – no lining thinning, no hyperstimulation.  The worst thing that would happen would be I just wouldn’t respond at this dose, so we’d have to up the dosage.  That would suck, but let’s just hope it doesn’t come to that.  After all, I was able to grow decent sized follicles on my right ovary last time (we think) so let’s hope this is just the little “push” I need to get one healthy egg the heck out of the ovary and into play.  I feel a little more positive after hearing this that June may not necessarily be canceled.  So, I may get to try again in three weeks.

One thing I learned today is ladies, I can’t tell you how important it is to be your own advocate.  Educate yourselves!  Google to your heart’s delight, read Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  If I hadn’t insisted on an ultrasound last month I would have ended up in another futile 2ww; if I hadn’t mentioned Femara I’d be about to take Clomid and possibly jeopardize the next cycle with a thin lining and/or suffer through horrendous side effects.  If I’d paid attention to my charts and didn’t disregard what they were telling me I could have been on top of this whole anovulation thing back in March and could be pregnant now.  So please don’t just listen to what these people tell you – they kind of don’t know anything more than you do.  Fight for your rights, girls!

(This post was from yesterday when Blogger was down all day)

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm. I'm not sure if Femara is available in Canada, but I'll ask about it if this clomid cycle is a bust. My main concern right now with the clomid is that my ovaries will get hyperstimulated again. I didn't realize the risk of that was lower with Femara.

    Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete